Popular Posts

Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Angels as Saints

So since this blog is also to help people consider their Confirmation saints, I want to say something. Whenever I go up and ask if angels count as saints I get varied answers. Some implicitly state 'No' while others would say 'It depends.' It got me confused as to which saint I should pick as the one I was thinking was the Archangel Gabriel, the angel who revealed the Annunciation's message unto Mary. I personally have always been inspired by Gabriel, yet I wasn't even sure if I could choose Gabriel as my saint name.

I did some research and from what I can gather angels can be saints. The biggest example is St. Michael. He's known as the head of the angels, and is mostly called upon by the name St. Michael. The other two named Archangels, Gabriel and Raphael, are also considered saints. So the correct answer to my question was 'It depends' or anything that states some, etc. I was relieved so I chose St. Gabriel as my Confirmation saint.

Anyway, from what I can gather the main confusion stems from the fact that saints are considered humans. Even though the definition of a saint means an exceptionally holy person; this gives the thought that saints are humans (which is mostly true). Since angels have no physical body, it misconstrues the conception people have about saints. Most people tend to classify them as higher beings than humans. Most people feel more empathy with something like them (in this case humans). Though most Christians will agree that St. Michael is a saint and one of the most famous ones at that, the general thought is no. It also doesn't help that angels have their own hierarchy.

Usually people will take a little thought or reason to conclude their answer, because they have to weigh between St. Michael and all the other saints. Even Gabriel is mostly known as the Archangel and not the saint. I guess it's reasonable, but it is a conception which should be changed among Catholics.

So to all you in the process of picking a saint, don't be afraid to choose the three Archangels as saints; angels can be saints too.


Source:
http://www.myartprints.co.uk/kunst/anonym_venezianisch_oder_berg/1016233-1.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment